Can be started at any time
$450 (Easy-pay plan available)
Approximately 3 months
- Study Option
- Home Study
- Course Level
- Entry Requirements
- 18 years old or over
- 5 practical assignments
- The American Academy of Photography has earned recognition from the International Approval and Registrations Centre (IARC).
This course is designed for anyone who wants to learn how to take great photographs with their camera.
Over 5 practical assignments you will learn how to make the best use of your camera to capture the perfect moment. Discover a range of camera settings and how they can be used to create different effects. Practice the art of composition through a range of techniques to make eye-catching images. Learn about different styles of photography and experiment with color. Complete your very own photography project from start to finish.
As a home study student you will have full access to our student area - the Online Learning Centre. Here you will find course materials created by industry experts including instructional videos, written content quizzes and assignments.
Our tutors provide all the support, knowledge and in-depth feedback you need to progress through your course and are always contactable through the Online Learning Centre.
This course can be completed in approximately 3 months*.
*Completion time is based on the approximate time it has taken past students to complete the course. Students have up to 36 months to complete the course.
The list below provides an overview of the topics covered in this course.
- Camera Settings and Modes
Understand how your camera works to capture the perfect moment.
- the exposure triangle - aperture, shutter speed and ISO
- shooting in manual mode
- exposure and why it is important
- using camera settings in combination to create different effects
- selective focus to draw the viewer's attention
- light metering and metering modes
- white balance
- Composition and Style
- Compositional rules such as the rule of thirds and leading lines
- How compositional rules can be applied to a range of different photographs
- The difference between descriptive, impressionistic and abstract styles of photography
- Color theory and the importance of color in photography
- Photography project
Complete a photography project that tells a story using visual language.
- Creating stories through photography and using photographs to say something to a viewer
- Exploring your own interests and researching photography that inspires you
- Applying your knowledge of photography to a photographic project
- Planning to develop and execute a photoshoot effectively
- Using a range of settings and techniques in combination to create a beautiful set of photographs.
All our tutors are photography professionals working in the industry.
It’s been really valuable. I would highly recommend using the Academy to progress your photography skills.
I chose to do it all online because I work full-time. It fits in with my lifestyle. I would recommend the course to others.
Anybody that decides to take it up as a profession or a hobby, this is the kind of course that you need to do.
The American Academy of Photography
Our philosophy at the American Academy of Photography is to make high-quality education accessible to all by empowering people to do what they love. Through the power of online and blended learning, our students are able to harness their creativity and practically apply it to succeed in their chosen careers.
Pursue your ambition - because the future is today!Learn more